MARKETS in most young cattle categories remained reasonably steady in a 16,804 head offering on AuctionsPlus this week, down 7pc on the week before.
Price increases were seen in PTIC heifers, which jumped $96/head on average, and PTIC cows up $15/head.
Cow with calves at foot sold from $1800 to $3500/unit, averaging $2803 – easing $151 on last week among the 1994 head offered. Top price was secured by Calmsley Pastoral Co from Uranquinty NSW, for a line of 17 PTIC cows with 3-5-month-old Angus calves at foot. The cows averaged 571kg and were 1-2 months PTIC to Angus bulls.
PTIC cows sold from $1100 to $2550, averaging $2203, a $15 rise on last week among the 878 head offered. R A Pegum from Mittagong NSW, sold the top priced lot with 19 PTIC cows aged 5-7 years averaging 729kg, and 4-5 months PTIC to Limousin bulls.
PTIC heifers sold from $1720 to $2800 to average $2215 – up $96 on the previous week. SN Nivison & Co Walcha, NSW secured top price for two lines of PTIC heifers. One lot was a line of 25-26-month-old Angus averaging 593kg, PTIC to Angus bulls. They were purchased by a buyer from Armidale, NSW.
More than 4000 heifers were offered this week, with prices remaining strong. One line of 10-11-month-old Hereford cross heifers averaging 184kg offered by Aringa North Pastoral from Port Fairy VIC sold for 481c/kg.
Heifers 200-280kg sold from 360c to 558c this week, averaging 463c – up 11c. Somerset Trading Co from Durong QLD, secured top price with a line of 12-14-month-old Gelbvieh x Red Angus heifers averaging 217kg.
Heifers 280-330kg sold from 392c to 466c, averaging 440c – up 15c on last week. Top price went to a line of 11-13-month-old Angus weaners averaging 313kg offered by Glynn Agriculture from Boggabilla, NSW.
Feeder heifers 330-400kg sold from 362c to 428c, averaging 411c – easing 26c. RW Shearer from Glen Innes NSW, secured top price for a line of 7-11-month-old Angus NSM future breeders averaging 347kg with Sara Park and Eastern Plains Angus bloodlines.
Heavy heifers more than 400kg sold from 365c to 386c, averaging 379c – back 21c. From Knebsworth VIC, Mt Eccles Estate listed the top priced lot of 17-19-month-old Angus feeder heifers averaging 480kg.
Steer numbers remained firm on last week with 6439 head on offer. Similar to heifers, only one line of light steers averaging less than 200kg sold for 490c/kg. Ivyhurst Dairy from Echuca VIC, sold the top priced lot with a line of 3-4-month-old weaned Friesian steers averaging 121kg.
Steers 200-280kg sold from 329c to 676c averaging 530c/kg – up 27c on last week. From Lockhart NSW, Yirdeen Farms offered the top priced lot of 4-5-month-old Angus and Angus cross unweaned steers averaging 218kg.
Steers 280-330kg sold between 455c and 501c, averaging 479c – up 5c. Top price went to a line of 6-8-month-old Angus weaners 323kg offered by Glenalla Park, Glenrowan West VIC.
Feeder steers 330-400kg sold from 377c to 504c, averaging 452c – firm on last week. Glenruben Angus from Woomargama NSW, secured top price with a line of 9-10-month-old Angus weaned steers averaging 349kg. A further 50 of their steer brothers 373kg sold for 477c/kg.
Steers heavier than 400kg sold from 388c and 425c, averaging 414c – easing 9c on last week. From Tumut, NSW, Shore Pastoral offered the top priced lot with 15-16-month-old Crawford and Dunoon blood Angus steers averaging 438kg.
Among larger lines offered this week:
- Out of Morven NSW, 102 Angus feeder heifers, 15-17 mths, 380 kg, sold for 411c/$1,560
- Out of Irwin WA, 96 Droughtmaster backgrounder steers, 12-14 mths, 296 kg, sold for 370c/$1097; 114 Droughtmaster backgrounder steers, 12-14 mths, 249kg, sold for 395c/$983; 66 Droughtmaster NSM cows, 6-12 yrs, 387 kg, sold for $979; 22 Droughtmaster NSM cows, 6-12 yrs, 387 kg, sold for $969.
- From Nelia in northwest QLD, 108 Brahman NSM heifers, 12-24 mths, 244 kg, sold for 467c/$1140
- From Emerald, Central Qld, 105 Santa backgrounder steers, 13-21 mths, 259 kg, sold for 502c/$1302.
- From Collarenebri NSW, 90 Angus x Brahman cross NSM yearling heifers, 10-18 mths, 334 kg, 413c/$1380.
In Tasmania, there were 479 head on offer which achieved an 87pc clearance. Weaner and yearling heifers made up 30pc of the catalogue, selling from $1050 to $1670, averaging $1488 and achieving a 100pc clearance. Top price went to a line of 19-20-month-old Angus yearling heifers averaging 486kg offered by G & Z Tome’from Deloraine. Weaner and yearling steers also produced a total clearance, selling from $1490 to $1810, averaging $1648. Offered by Headlam Ag Trust from Woodbury, top price went to a line of 14-15-month-old Angus yearling steers averaging 463kg.
This week’s WA cattle sale achieved a 96pc clearance among the 292 head offered. Feeder steers made up 32pc of the catalogue and sold to a top of $1590 with a line of 47 Angus steers 8-10 months averaging 391kg, offered by RB McNab & Co from Scott River East.
In a breakdown of young cattle sold this week, by weight range:
- Less than 200kg: Steers sold for 491c/kg while heifers sold for 481c/kg
- 200-280kg: Steers sold from 329-676c to average 530c, while heifers sold from 360-558c, to average 462c.
- 280-330kg: Steers sold from 455-501c to average 479c, while heifers sold from 392-466c, to average 440c.
- 330-400kg: Steers sold from 377-504c to average 452c, while heifers sold from 362-428c, to average 411c.
- +400kg: Steers sold from 388-425c to average 414c, while heifers sold from 365-386c to average 379c.